Wednesday, January 04, 2012

VOICES - 6 Traits Writing Bulletin Board

Well, I've been mulling over my classroom design - in particular, what permanent bulletin boards I will have and where they'll go. I saw this pin on Pinterest ages ago, and well, it stuck in my head because it was something that I really wanted to do.

It is much like the CAFE board and I absolutely could not live without my CAFE board. Last year, it became such a big part of our classroom and we referred to it everyday. It made the vocabulary 'stick' and was a central point for what we had learned. I thought a VOICES board would complement it.

So, over the holidays I've been working on cards to make it up. What I loved about the CAFE board is that I already knew the strateiges that I could teach under each component because they were provided with the book. I didn't for VOICES. So I've read a couple of books and came up with some cards and done up a pack for TpT and Teachers Notebook. 

It comes with over 90 cards that you can add to your VOICES board!
      

    

    
Just like with CAFE, I'm thinking that I'd still have separate charts that go along with a lot of the strategies. For example, I have a card that says 'Hook the reader with a bold beginning'. I'd have a separate chart that would go over the different ways that authors create bold beginnings  or leads (e.g. begin with a question, begin with dialogue, create a ticking clock etc).  But I hope that, like our CAFE board, it will become a central hub for our writing strategies. 

You can check it out at TpT and Teachers Notebook. It's 20% off at TpT for a limited time - I couldn't find the sale thingy on Teachers Notebook - I'm tired, ok!!

I can't wait until I put it up! Some motivation is seeping in - might have to head to school this week and start setting up!

EDIT: I've also uploaded a Penguin/Polar Bear skip counting pack. It covers skip counting in 2's, 3's, 5's, 10's and 10's from single digit numbers (1-9). You can grab it on TpT and Teachers Notebook.
 ~Kylie