Thursday, April 19, 2012

Guided Math

I hopped on tonight wanting to show you my Daily 5 tubs and realised I left my hard drive with the photos on it at school. So all your getting is how I organise my guided math groups because I took some photos today and I brought my camera home!

Like reading, I love meeting with math groups. I have four activities that we go through using the T.I.M.E. acronym.
T: Teacher's Choice. I work with ability based groups during this time. However, around report cards I might have to meet with individuals to do assessments, hence why I've called it Teacher's Choice - I might choose to have some kids do something else! I use manipulatives, the interactive whiteboard, songs etc here.

I: Independent Work - This is some type of activity to do with our current math concept. It isn't necessarily paper based (and we don't have a math textbook, but if you did, you could do it here). Students may be on the computers (Mathletics, SmartKiddies etc) or using some type of manipulative.

M: Math Facts - Partner math fact games, flash cards etc. Lots of the games I make I put in here. I also have lots of choices so students can choose a game that is right for them.

E: Essential Revision - An activity or game to revise a math concept from two or three weeks ago to keep it 'fresh'. I usually have a couple of options in this box. 

I have these clear tubs that I keep the activities in. I love them because they have lids (so nothing gets lost) and they stack in my bookshelf perfectly.

Here are our math tubs from this week. We have started learning multiplication. This is the first time students have learned about it.

This week in the Teacher's Choice box, I have bowls, cups and counters. I also have a checklist on a clipboard so I can check off what I notice the kids doing. It has all of the main learning objectives for the week. I record a number on the checklist that roughly aligns to: 
1: able to do independently
2: small amount of assistance/prompting
3: needed a lot of assistance and guidance
4: could not do

These checklists help me with signing the continua for the Year 2 Net and allows me to see what I need to work with certain kiddos on.
 
The first pic is what's inside. The second shows the laminated page that is on the lid of the box. I paperclip my lesson plan to it or write with a dry erase marker to remind me of what I'm doing (on the I, M and E boxes, I write what they can do in an I Can format or just plain dot points). The third pic shows how the clipboard fits inside. This was one of the reasons why I chose these boxes - I'm always misplacing my clipboards!
This week, I have placed copies of an activity from Amy Lemon's Multiplication Situations unit in the Independent Work tub along with some counters for students to make the arrays, a couple of Doubles games (the blue containers hold the counters/dice) and also some Addition/Subtraction games (to 10, to 20 and to 50 for different abiliteis) for the Math Facts tub. I also throw in some flash cards - the kids really like doing this with each other for some reason! For Essential Revision, I have put in a range of place value activities. I've got my place value dominoes and bingo in there and a freebie Place Value board game (to use with the bundling sticks) that I got online. I'll put in the link for it when I bring my hard drive home, hopefully the authors name is on the file somewhere (it wasn't.... but thank you to whoever made it!).

On a typical week, I do a a pre-assessment to determine my groups and a whole class lesson to introduce the concept on Monday. I also explain the activities for the tubs. 

On Tuesday and Wednesday, I do a mini-lesson and meet with 2 groups.  Each component is about 20 minutes. The four tubs are completed over these two days.

Thursday and Friday I'm flexible based on what I learned meeting with the groups. Most weeks, I repeat the Tues/Wed structure (but I swap out the activities- different independent work/computer, add some different math facts games, a different review concept) and on Friday, instead of the mini-lesson, I'll have a short post-assessment. The Essential Review tub is easy to swap over because I use materials and games from when we learned the concept - don't have to reteach, just review the instructions. Math Facts is also easy because I love making new math games and the kids love it when their favourite games make their way back in - they even love flash cards if I pop them in there! Other weeks, I might decide to do more whole class, or a craft, project, math investigation etc.and not follow the Tues/Wed structure.

But if you are new to math groups, you could even just do one group per day over four days or any other way that you can fit it in. 

I like this system because most weeks I get to meet in small groups with every student twice. The tubs are also easy to maintain and swap out. The Essential Review tub is my favourite because I dislike how there is often a big gap between the times we learn about a concept. I like the constant review that I incorporate each week. 

How do you teach math? Do you have a structure you love and that works for you? How do you store your games and materials?

Edit: I've uploaded Posters, Tub/Rotation Labels and I-Can charts for T.I.M.E Math at my TpT store. 

32 comments:

  1. I LOVE this structure! I am looking to do Guided Math next year in my class, so this is a super-helpful post to help get me organized :)

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie! I'm sure you'll love doing Guided Math next year - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower!

    learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jessica, I'm off to check out your blog!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kylie,
    Let's try that again...I hope to do Guided Math next year, too. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ✿.。.☆♪♫*❤*Melly*❤*☆.。.✿

    stapelrsstrategies@gmail.com

    Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Melly! I'm sure you'll love guided math once you start next year. It took a little getting used to, and you have to teacher routines and procedures just like with literacy, but it is well worth it.

      Delete
  6. Hi Kylie,

    I teach year 2 in QLD too and am super keen to begin guided maths. Thanks for sharing your ideas! I'm new to blogging but am finding it AMAZING! Would love for you to check out my blog and give me some feedback!


    Shanyn

    coffeekidsandcompulsivelists.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shanyn, welcome to blogging! I am your first follower! It looks like we'll be doing similar things over the next few weeks with the C2C stereotypes unit. Hopefully, we can get new ideas off each other!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! It's all very exciting! I can't wait to share ideas. I'm already learning from you! Look forward to hearing and seeing more ideas! Thank you so much for being my first follower! YAY!

      Shanyn

      Delete
  7. Hi,
    I teach year 6 in Qld and we do guided math ( though I call it workshoping) 4 days a week. Monday we have a whole class lesson and often I will teach a new concept here. This week it was perimeter. The rest of the week we have 5 activities each day and the class are ability grouped into 5 groups of 4 - 5.

    We rotate around the activities, spending 10 - 12 minutes on each.
    Each day the activities are different. We always have Mathletics, always a group with me which while on the same skill is varied to suit the abilities of the group. The other 3 groups are
    *number of the day/ operations,
    *problem solving/number facts
    * following up on our lesson from Monday/ revising a skill from past weeks.

    My class love it and so do I as I get to touch base with every kid every day, every kid gets 1 hr of close to individual instruction, kids get lots of variety and movement ( important with this bunch!!) and as often there is a whiteboard activity it is FUN

    Of course this varies but

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Kathy, your routine really allows you to see each student a lot! My kids go off-task and silly if we do too many centers/rotations in a row, otherwise it would be a structure I would implement myself as it seems similar to mine in the type of activities you do. Your class is very lucky to have such a dedicated teacher who is willing to organise so many activities in a week!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for this post. I love the tubs for everything (including the clipboard). I need to get me a few...I use the acronym MATH for my rotations. I love math rotations! They have worked beautifully this year.

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth - I like your MATH acronym too! I love me a good acronym! When I saw that these tubs fit my clipboard I was like 'Oh, YES!' HA, it's the simple things!

      Kylie

      Delete
  9. Hello! I just came across your blog tonight and am your newest follower! I have to say I absolutely LOVE your explanation of how you run your guided math groups, it's the simplest/most effective description I've come across yet...thanks so much! Check out my blog sometime =)
    http://cantmakethisstuffup-hmichaud.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment! I'm off to check out your blog!

      Kylie

      Delete
  10. It was great to find your post. It's part of my summer wish list to plan how to do guided math next year, so I've been hunting for people sharing how they are already making it successful. The pictures are wonderful visuals.
    http://themeekmoose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy from Texas!! Just found your blog and love it! I have been doing math tubs now for a while but have a hard time fitting teacher time in, so your approach gave me some structuing ideas to try! Thanks so much! Check out my blog sometime! firstgradewow.blogspot.com
    Thanks again for all your hard work!!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Kylie. I just ran across your blog searching for math resources. I love this post! Thank you so much for sharing! I'm your newest follower. I'm new to blogland, but stop by my blog sometime.

    threadgillsteachingtoolbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just found your blog, searching for guided math ideas. Thanks for sharing all your info and suggestions. I'm going to be doing GM this year and need all the help I can get!

    Meiri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kylie, What are the sizes of your groups?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber, I have 25 kids in my class so I generally try to have 3 groups of 6 and one group of 7.

      Cheers

      Delete
  15. I have been working on setting up math centers in my room this year. My goal is that within the next quarter (hopefully sooner....but a lot of that is having funds to by tubs and such) I will be pulling small groups just as you mentioned above but I really had no idea how I wanted it to look or run. You have given me a place to start! Thanks so much for sharing your idea! Love it!
    :0) Cara

    Kindergarten Boom Boom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cara, I'm glad I could help in some way! I have no doubt that you'll love pulling small groups!

      Delete
  16. Hi Kylie, I was just wondering how you run your groups and implement C2C at the same time? Cheers, Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren, it is quite hard with C2C, but I guess it would be with any math program. I don't always run the lessons as they are given in the C2C, I usually just look at the objectives and create my lessons around that instead because I'm not fussed on how much talking I'm doing with those lessons so I change them to be more interactive. I also cover the same content during the Teacher's Choice rotation (but it is more tailored to the level of the students in each group) and the Independent Work rotation so they are still working on C2C stuff during the rotations. I'm also very flexible with the structure. When I plan my math for the week I look at what needs to be covered and what is going to be feasible with the rotations. Some weeks I only do 1 rotation a day over 4 days and since the rotations only go for 15-20 minutes, it is not that hard to fit in.

      Sorry it took me so long to get back to you!

      Delete
  17. I am in need of plactic containers to stack on shelving unit, where did you find yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexis, the ones in the picture I got from Big W and OfficeWorks. They come in a pack of 4 for about $25.

      Cheers

      Delete
  18. Hello I am new to teaching, your blog and everything else I can think of I have a million questions that I am hoping for advice. I get the whole organization of centers for kids. I really do get that. I however don't get where to put the "I Can" for every station. I for example will make perhaps 12 stations and I am required by the district to put up a "I Can" list for kids at each station. Where does that go? and where do the kids put the finished product?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angelica, for my math rotations I place the I Can chart on top of the tub for each rotation. It is then right there for the kids to refer to and I don't need to use up wall space or table space etc to hold it. Depending on how you decide to store each station the kids are working on, you could do the same or for those stations that are in a particular area of the room, you could just stick it where the kids will see it (e.g. the big book I Can chart next to the big books box). For my math rotations I have the kids simply place completed work back in the box. At the end of the week I can collect them up and mark them. I like marking all of the same activity at the same time (it seems faster to me like this) so I do prefer this method. You could also have a designated in tray for work. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  19. Thank you so much for this! With a mixed year group class with a huge difference in abilities I was starting to panic but this idea has really calmed me down as it looks really manageable. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it really simple to maintain and easy to prepare each week. I hope you do to, good luck!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...