Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Keep Your Dear Teacher Happy poster

What a blah week! Sorry I haven't posted. There's no reason why I haven't. I've just been bludging! Going to bed early AND sleeping in kind of thing!

I've never really looked at the Top 100 on TpT before - I'm not up there with the big sellers, so there's no point. But like I said, I've been bludging so I haven't been creating anything new and have been buying instead. So I looked on the TpT 100 Highest Rated Products for last week looking for some new buys, and I saw one of mine! Talk about excited!
 
I know it's for the product I had listed as a freebie for the Teacher Appreciation Jackpot so it doesn't really count, but I'm still happy about it! Thanks to those who left feedback after you downloaded it for free!
A little while ago, I was talking about behaviour management. Somebody suggested that I should try Whole Brain Teaching. I wasn't sure that it was my thing but jumped on it and gave it a go when we came back for second term. Wow! How simple! How effective!
I found these posters at The Polka Dot Patch that I display on the board near my whole class carpet area. I also made up a "Keep your dear teacher happy" rule because I thought that encompasses anything they might get up to!  You can download it here in google docs. 

We recite the rules in the morning and after both breaks. We use the actions from 3rd Grade Thoughts when reciting the rules. 
I also use Class/Yes, but that's it. I don't need to use the scoreboard or anything else (yet!). I can't believe last term I was pulling my hair out and now everything is so good. 
These rules have really worked a treat. It's so easy if someone is calling out to say "Rule Number 4" and the class just automatically repeats the rule back. One, it stops the student from calling out, and two, it also seems to refocus the class. Love it!

Hopefully I'll be back soon with some new freebies for you.



EDIT: Head on over to Think, Wonder,Teach for a WBT linky party! I can't wait to check out all the links!
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g447/eschaff/Mistys%20blog/btn4.png

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE WBT! I actually just changed my rules this past semester. My class needed something more adapted to their needs, but we still do class/yes and partner teaching/learning. It's a great behavior tactic. Glad it's working for you!!

    Laura
    Kinder Kraziness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, I also do the partner teaching/learning, but I'd done that before I started WBT so it's not a new strategy for me. I think it's great that it works for you in Kinder and me in Grade 2 - so versatile!

      Delete
  2. I'm so thrilled to know those motions are working for you :) And I love the last rule you added- works well at school and at home ;) Don't you just LOVE WBT? It has helped this year go by so much smoother than before!

    Take care,
    Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding the motions to your blog! The kids love them and even remind me to recite the rules if I forget after breaks! Haven't tried using them at home.... wonder what my 12 year old would think of that! Ha!

      Delete
  3. Congrats!!! I hope mine make the lists some day ;)

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrsstanfordsclass.blogspot.com
    I'm having my first linky and I'd love for you to join!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! I wanted to implement WBT this year but somehow put it aside. I'm excited to give it another go next year!
    Erin
    Sample’s Superstars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend you give it a go Erin. It's very simple to teach the expectations and doesn't take long at all. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on making the top 100!!! And when it is mid Term 2 no-one can be classified as 'bludging'...rest up before report time. My little Year 1er's are in need of behaviour reminders and this might just be the thing...thanks....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doobee. I think part of the reason why I'm bludging is that reports aren't due until week 10 (in the past it's been week 6...). All that extra time means I put it off... I think your littlies will really enjoy the WBT and the actions that go with the rules. Good luck if you try to implement it!

      Delete
  6. Whole Brain Teaching is an amazing program for enhancing Student Engagement and developing Critical Thinking Skills! So glad I found your blog!! Keep spreading the word on WBT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to have found your site Kylie (great name by the way!!) Glad to find a fellow Australian who is not only blogging but using WBT too! I found WBT not long ago as well and was keen to use it during my 5 week prac with a year 6 class, I only really used the Class/yes and the scoreboard + the rules. The scoreboard worked especially well for year 6, I think since I've finished my AT is still using it! Looking foward to following your blog from now on.

    From your newest fan!

    Kylie A. NSW

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...