Friday, July 27, 2012

Big Scare

I had a really big scare this week. The biggest scare I've had in a very long time. It was so scary I was up at night thinking about what I would do if I had to go through with it..... I almost joined a ladies basketball team. OH. MY. LORD. Me. 5ft 1. VERY 'unsporty'. Running around bouncing a ball. Running period. Now that would have been a sight! HA! I was going to join to help a friend out because they really needed one more member otherwise they wouldn't have enough for a team. Luckily, they got the numbers. Luckily my friend wasn't too upset by my groaning, whinging, complaining and doing what I could to get out of it once they got the numbers. Phew, it was a close call. So, if you're reading this Liz, thanks for letting me out of it!

Ok, so the title of this post may have led you to believe that my big scare was bigger than was it was, but I was pooping myself thinking I was having to play! It was real fear!

She is one of only 3 people who know about my 'secret identity' here in blogland besides my family. She has started her own TpT store, probably because I talk about it ALL the time and how great it is. She teaches math in Grades 8-12. She's called her store Bayside Teacher which I think is very cute. If you live in Brisbane, you'll probably know and love the bayside area. If you blog, is your real identity a secret like ours or are you out and proud? I'd love to be open about it, but I just don't know how people would react. I'm also worried that other teachers I work with will see what I do in my class and think I'm not a good teacher or be overly critical. I really shouldn't worry because they are all lovely, particularly on my year level.

I've also been nominated again for the Top 25 Teacher Moms over at Circle of Mom's. I reached number 36 last year. I'd love to reach that again this year. I'm a little behind the ball too because I haven't checked my emails for a couple of days. I just went to look and some people must have already blogged about it because they already have heaps of votes. I've got 5. Thanks to those 5 people who voted even without me begging asking! You can vote for me here once every day for the next 14 days!


I'm catching up on over 100 emails and 686 Google Reader posts. If you've emailed, I'll try to get to you soon. Also, I'm working on some requests including an Apple version of my Word Sorting set-up and Place Value Bingo for hundreds, tens and ones. I'm hoping both will be posted for you this weekend.

14 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean about being hesitant to share your identity. There are certain people I've told, who I trust and I know won't judge me. I am worried about how certain others would react. I know I shouldn't care but I do! I'm not the type of person to not give a hoot about what others think. I'm the EXACT opposite...I worry TOO much! I can tell you're a fabulous teacher just from your posts and products!

    LOL at the basketball team too! I scream when a a shadow of a ball passes me in the playground!

    Shanyn
    Coffee, Kids and Compulsive Lists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shanyn, I also think I worry too much! I don't really care what people think of me personally, but I do professionally. I'm a little weird like that!

      Kylie

      Delete
  2. Hi Kylie,
    I hear you about keeping your identity a "secret." I am the exact same way. However, YOU should not be worried....your blog is wonderful, and you have such amazing ideas! I am honored that you are making me the apple version of your word sorting set up!
    I hope you are doing well!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your patience with the apple word sorting set Robyn, and for your kind words! It's almost finished!

      Kylie

      Delete
  3. Voted! And yes. I havent told ANYONE I work with... but they must be wondering why all my classroom resources are looking so fab lol
    Brooke
    teachmoment.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for voting Brooke! I'm surprised that haven't asked you about your fab looking resources - people have asked me! I've told some about TpT, just not my store!

      Kylie

      Delete
  4. Haven't told a single teaching sole about my secret classroom blogging life! But I can tick both Brisbane, and Bayside for my location. Just not giving away if I am Bayside north (Redcliffe type area) or Bayside south (Wynnum area)...but I can nearly see the water when doing playground duty on the top oval...
    ✿ Judy
    teaching with J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'd love to live that close to the water! The lifestyle really appeals to me. One day....

      Delete
  5. Oooo Kylie I cannot believe you linked to my poorly-created TPT site in comparison to yours. How embarrassing. I have now progressed to having 12 items and the stats page at least shows the freebies are viewed and downloaded a lot; just no sales yet! :) In time.

    I know we're going to go poorly at Basketball not and have no excuse for it ;)

    Judith - I too am Bayside, but I'm most definitely Bayside South. Water from the top oval definitely sounds like Lota or Manly :) Lovely areas but I'm even more south than there.
    Liz - BaysideTeacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I just had to Liz! I don't think many of my readers are middle/high school math teachers though! Good luck for your next game!

      Delete
  6. I guess I am the opposite, but I also know that I am an attention seeker...if you haven't already guessed(; I HAVE told people about my blog etc and I have only had positive comments, all of you have great blogs and TpT stores and you should be proud to tell people. I love sharing in your classroom adventures because it is hard to find Aussies in blogland and you understand what is happening with the curriculum etc! Be out and proud I say, you will probably find the only people who visit your blog after you tell them are those that are genuinely interested in what you are doing and what you have to say. Kylie you were one of the best supports for me when I started blogging and you have fantastic ideas and products, you go girl! Wow this comment is far too long now...signing off
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had your confidence Tania! I think the other teachers would be supportive, I'm not sure about the administration though... I'm up for transfer this year, so maybe I'll be out and proud if I move schools!

      Delete
  7. I don't know your administration, but I know that when my principal found out (another teacher friend "bragged" to him about my blog - can you say EMBARRASSING!") he absolutely LOVED it and really though it was a great professional development opportunity. He is always asking me about things I am discovering and checks on my blog every once in a while to leave a nice comment. Just thought I would give you a positive story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brit for the positive story! I'm so glad it worked out for you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...