Sunday, September 09, 2012

Recent Purchases

This girl is EXHAUSTED! I need me a break big time! We have just finished Winter here in Australia and you'd think I'd get sick at least once in that 3 months and be able to have a day or two off but NO, I didn't get sick it all. Either did my boy, so I couldn't stay home with him. I would have liked to get *just* sick enough for a day off! Oh well, we still have 12 weeks of school to go in our school year. There's still hope. And holidays in 2 weeks. Please let me get through these 2 weeks!

One of the reasons I'm so exhausted is that I have soooo much on after school. Look at the coming week for instance. 

  • PD after school Monday on Cued Articulation from 3-5pm. I miss our weekly year level meeting to go to this. Visit my nephew in hospital until visitation closes at 7pm.
  • PD after school on Big 5 comprehension skills Tuesday from 3-4pm. My boys footy training from 5-7pm. 
  • Staff meeting from 3-4pm Wednesday. Woohoo, early day!
  • PD Thursday on problem solving in math from 3.30-4.30pm. My boys footy training from 5-7pm. 
  • Friday - P-2 staff meeting from 8.00-8.30am. Come home and sleep (as is my weekly routine!).
This schedule has been going on for ages too. The  comprehension and math problem solving PD's go for 5 weeks each. The cued articulation is only this week and last week. 

I shouldn't complain though... I signed up for all the PD's since I haven't really done anything this year and as my fellow Aussies know, we are required to do 30 hours each year.

Oh well, 10 school days and I'll be on holidays. 

Anyway, to get to the title of this post, I've also done a bit of shopping. Last Wednesday I went to the Scholastic Warehouse Sale and nabbed me some bargains. See those green stickers - $1! I've now got a book for each of my kids for their end of year present by buying the $1 books. I LOVE the Australian Geographic magazines you can see in the corner - I buy 6 of each title whenever I see them and use them for guided reading groups throughout the year.
 This is my most recent Scholastic book order. I also got some chapter books for my boy and new pocket charts, Aboriginal paper etc, but these are just the books for my class.
 This is the huge box of books I've got hidden in a corner of my lounge room so that I can see it all the time. It's the books I desperately want to contact so I can take them to school. I slowly make my way through them and contact them while watching TV but then I go and buy more and it fills up again. My garage is full with other boxes like this, but those books are so urgent.
These are some that I've just contacted. My  boys and girls are going gaga over these books. I had to make a new label and tub for Super Hero books. I'm so good at covering the books in clear contact, I hardly ever get any bumps! The corners of the books don't get all dogeared either - books I've had since I started teaching in Year 2 still look new!
Talking about tubs, I've been picking up a few of these new ones the last two weeks whenever I see them. I found these cute containers too - I don't know how I'm going to use them but they are in my colours and they have polka dots - how could I resist??  You hear me, right?!
I picked up these glasses from the cheapie store too - they are great for the 'oo' sound. The idea is from the Teacher Wife and she has a set of glasses as a freebie. You write 'oo' sounds like 'look' around the rim of the glasses. I LOVE the idea, but I prefer to use these because they are funky and sturdy and the kids don't have to try and cut out the middle so they can see!

So that's probably it for another week, I doubt I'll have time to post again until the weekend. 

Oh, I am giving away any item from my store at a giveaway over at Coffee, Kids and Compulsive Lists. You have 4 days left to enter!

23 comments:

  1. Wow- I'm so jealous of your book finds! I love the polka dot containers, too- I have such a hard time resisting great containers, because I know at some point I will ALWAYS need new ones! :)

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, the biggest problem I have with buying cute containers is storing them until I can use them!! I've run out of room! But you're right, I just have to buy them too because I know I'll need them at some point!

      Delete
  2. WOW! Very jealous also! I want to be able to go to the Scholastic Warehouse Sales! Pity I don't live in Queensland I guess!

    I have been spending as much money on books for my classroom at the moment as I am making on TpT - but that's ok right, the money is just going back into my classroom! I bought hand outlines from the cheapie shop yesterday, I am sure I will use them for something!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Alison
    mathswithmeaning.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, the warehouse sales happen in most states so you should check out their website! They have them once a term, near the end. I'll think I'll mention it on my blog next time before I go!

      Delete
  3. Oh! And it's ok to be exhausted! We all are!!!! Bring on the holidays!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now know why I was so exhaused - I have lost my voice and have a terrible cough! Knew I'd have to get sick sometime!

      Delete
  4. I wish I had known about the scholastic sale. I'm jealous too.

    I LOVE those colourful baskets from the 'cheap' store. That pink, green, blue combination is my favourite (see my blog, they are my blog colours LOL!) Everything at those stores is super cheap but I get so loaded up with stuff that I end up spending heaps. It's addictive!

    I totally agree, Kylie ~ BRING - ON - THE - HOLIDAYS!!
    But I never look forward to Term 4. I call it the 'crazy' term. We are SO busy with assessments, reports, organisation for next year and if you have to move to another classroom OMG!! Crazy, crazy crazy!! Many friends ( not teachers) often say to me in Term 4 "you must be winding down". They don't realise that Term 4 is like a spring getting tighter and tighter that is finally released at the end of the term.

    Just realised I am writing a novel. Anyway ENJOY the hols when they come.
    Rhonda
    Classroom Fun

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, I agree with everything you've said. Term 4 really is a shocker and seems to drag on. Instead of 'winding down' I find I am always so busy right up to the time the kids walk out the door on the last day.

      I love the colours too and your blog looks super cute with them. I can't pass up anything in blue, pink or green - I just bought some pink and blue stools for my reading area from another 'cheapie' store! Like you, when I walk out, it doesn't feel so 'cheap'!

      Kylie

      Delete
  5. Hi Kylie, great job on those book finds! I don't get to anything like that because I live in a Wagga, so those sales don't often find their way here. I agree with Rhonda, Term 4 is so busy and ends up being filled with end of year "stuff" that eats into teaching time. BTW that 30 hrs PD is only QLD as far as I know, if you are a teacher that graduated after a certain year in NSW you don't have to show proof of PD for accreditation. So much for consistency across states right!
    Love your containers
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for clarifying that Tania, when I wrote it I was thinking it might just be a Queensland thing, but wasn't sure.

      Delete
  6. Ohh I wish I had of known about the book sale too!! Looks like you grabbed some awesome bargains =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did! I'll include it in a post when I'm about to go to the next one so that you can see if there's one in your area. They happen near the end of every term.

      Kylie

      Delete
  7. My goodness, you ARE a busy girl! We are all hanging out for our 2 weeks holidays - well-deserved too! Thanks so much for the shout-out! :)

    Shanyn
    Coffee, Kids and Compulsive Lists
    Check out my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Shanyn! Looks like you've picked up heaps of new followers since you started your giveaway!!

      Delete
  8. Loving all the purchases, Kylie! What a haul at the scholastic sale...you lucky thing (or should I say lucky students!!). It has been a very long Winter and I think the next two weeks are going to be so busy for everyone :S Hope they go quickly for you, so you get to have a restful holiday break! Love the glasses...I use them with my kiddies for 'perspective'. They pop them on and then read from another perspective (ie. author or one of the characters etc), they love it and I am always amazed at how a cheap pair of cardboard glasses can motivate them ;) Hope you have a wonderful week ahead!
    Tina
    Good Morning Mrs Rubie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wonderful idea Tanai! I think I'll use that one! Cheapie stores must make a fortune from teachers who go in looking for simple things to engage their students!!

      Delete
  9. Wow, now that is an awesome shopping adventure. Loved it. Oh to be able to do one myself.

    The Paper Maid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Deborah - your daughters are super cute by the way! I'm lucky that I sell things on TpT - I end up using most of the money to buy new things for my classroom rather than spending my work income - my 'family' money.

      Delete
  10. Wow, you are a super teacher! Look at all those lovely books you purchased for your class!

    Liz at http://kindergarten-blossoms.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that's a great idea to mention the next Scohlastic Sale.
    Love the polka dot containers. I did see them in a cheapie store but was good and resisted them. My principal has dropped some very strong hints that I could year levels next year so am trying to avoid accumulating anything else that I have to pack and move.
    Love the glasses. ... Haven't seen them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kylie, I think we live in the same city, so could you let me know where you found those great containers and the polka dot tins? I have only seen them in red and white before or black and white (the polka dot tins)...I am loving your use of colour in your classroom and yes, the Scholastic sale is awesome! One year we had $1000 from our principal to spend and we filled up the whole back of a 4WD and the back seat for the school :)

    Kylie M
    Ripper Reading Resources
    http://ripperresources.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, I can't remember exactly what cheapie store I bought the containers and the polka dot tins from. I think it was Crazy Clarks. I haven't seen the containers since I bought them unfortunately so I don't think they sell them anymore. If I see them, I'll be sure to blog about it so you can find them :) I bought the tins at the same time, so I'm unsure if they are still sold in the same colours.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...