Saturday, October 27, 2012

Peek at Last Week

This week was a short week for us, Monday being a Student Free Day. We were lucky to have the afternoon to ourselves for planning and preparation which was great.

Because we lost a day and reports are coming up, I thought I'd put out 9 review activities in math for this week and next week (one per day, after the whole class lesson/activity). Even though the content was review, the games were new so I introduced them during transition times throughout the day (on Tuesday I have math in the afternoon). By the time the afternoon came, they were itching to get started! I put the kids in mixed ability groups of 2-3 which they will stay in over the two weeks.

I have to say they had a ball! As planned, the higher/average ability kids were able to help the kids that would have struggled independently. All week they've worked a treat. I even left the classroom to visit my teaching partner next door and they didn't even notice! (Don't worry, it's just through a connecting door, so I wasn't too far away or for too long). I kept them working for about 25 mins and each time they asked if they could go onto the next activity! While they were working, I pulled kids to do some quick assessments. All of the activities are from my Halloween and Fall math packs. 
 

We changed up one of the activities from my Halloween Math Pack. Instead of printing out the trick-or-treating bags and candy for my Candy Sharing center, my kids used jack-o-lantern buckets and fake spiders (from Woolies) to act out the sharing problems. This was actually a great activity to act out because they had to read the card carefully to identify whether they had to work out out the number of candy/spiders each child got, how many children the candy was shared between, or how much was shared in total.

You can grab the packs these activities are from at my TpT or Teachers Notebook stores.

7 comments:

  1. Kylie, So cute, the goods going on in your room! I'm your newest follower! Can't wait to read more from you!
    Amy Howbert

    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by Amy, I just followed yours earlier today. LOVE your blog name :)

      Delete
  2. An afternoon in your room - how lovely! Isn't it funny how we celebrate something so simple!

    Reports - yes..... hoping to start them today, it's just so busy at the moment!

    Have a great week!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reports.... dreading them, as I do every semester! Can't wait for them to be over! Good luck with yours!

      Delete
  3. Looks like they are having so much fun! I'm jealous of your afternoon to yourself!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, sometimes I'm surprised at how 'trained' they are.... just wish I didn't have to start a new year and start all over again!

      Delete
  4. Your activities look fantastic, Kylie.Yes it hard to start again when you have trained them so well.
    I am crazy, I have asked to do Kinder again next year. Training Kindergarten is hard and tiring.
    Now back to reports. Such a busy time of the year.
    Rhonda

    Classroom Fun

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...