Sunday, November 11, 2012

Used and Love - Daily Math

As you've probably read from previous posts, we have been busy, busy, busy with assessment in our class. I have 2 kids leaving early next week and one the following week who all won't be back this year so we've been trying to get all the end of unit assessments, running records, spelling inventories etc done and dusted. We are almost there. The downside is I don't have much to share about what we've been working on! So I've decided for the next week or so to highlight some packs that I am using or have used this year that I've loved. 

The first is Daily Math by Lory Evans. She has it available for Grade 1 and 2.

I've bought all of the Grade 2 packs and I'm using the Term 4 one at the moment (this is the first one I've used). I look forward to using the packs from the start of the year next year. I do have to white out the money/coins and draw in my own before I copy but the rest of it is usable for Australians. To save on paper, I also shrink down the size of pages so that 2 fit on one page. The kids haven't had any problems with the shrunken size.

Each day has 10 questions for students to complete. I love the progressive increase in difficulty as we go through the year. The consistency in the skills for each term also means I am not having to teach the kidlets what to do each week. To mark, I display the pdf on my interactive whiteboard and we do as a whole class. I get the kids to write in anything they didn't do correctly in coloured pencil so that they can see where they went wrong (e.g. for the addition and subtraction, they'll identify whether it was a process error or a basic math fact error). I think this is better for them to see how they are going than to mark it by myself and they just get a score back. 

Lory has lots of other great things in her store so be sure to check it out! She has a few There Was An Old Lady packs out that I've got on my wish list!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this, Kylie! I hadn't seen it :) I'm adding to my wishlist!

    Shanyn
    Coffee, Kids and Compulsive Lists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great product for daily reinforcement of key skills! Do you know what year level you're teaching next year?

      Delete
  2. This looks great! I wonder what I will be teaching next year???

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found out and I am terrified! When do you find out? There's not many weeks of school left!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this Kylie. I've just discovered your blog and am really enjoying reading through the posts :)

    Can I ask, how do you find Common Core in relation to the Australian Curriculum? Do you find they are pretty similar or are there big differences?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...