Sunday, January 27, 2013

B2S Classroom Photos

Yesterday I promised to show you photos of what my room looked like Friday for parents and kids to come in.

I am disappointed that my room is not finished but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. It is student ready and I'll probably move things around the first few weeks anyway so I'm not too concerned. 

You can basically see the whole room in this pic and the next one. This room is smaller than my last portable/demountable room and the odd shape makes it difficult to arrange things. Ignore the boxes of baggies on the front desk - I used them to hold spare supplies that the kids brought in on Friday. I don't do communal supplies (I do provide extras from my own money) but I don't pool the kids' supplies together. I want them to learn to take responsibility for their own belongings so they have their own. I store their extra pencils, erasers and glue in the baggies in the cupboard for them to get when they run out. The blue containers were on the kids stationery lists this year - they are their pencil cases. They fit into the tidy trays but most kids prefer to keep them on their desk. Because they are clear, they can see their pencils, erasers, glue etc to retrieve it quickly and there's no rummaging in desks searching for missing pencils!

I love the banner I made to add colour to that awful concertina door and my polka dot alphabet posters!  
 This is from the back looking towards the front.
 
Here's the little alcove next to the angled wall. I've used it to house 3 of my computers (one is connected to the interactive whiteboard). I've got my whole brain teaching rules here because it's the only bit of wall I've got in the room. On the left near the entrance is a glimpse of my small group area. 
Here's another view of the computers. Look! I've got some cupboards! A big bonus after 3 years without any storage space!
I've got my other two computers over the side of the room. I haven't dug out enough chapter books to fill the rotating rack on the side, but I should be able to find them early next week! The shelves hold a lot of my math manipulatives. On top I've got tubs of pencils, crayons and permanent markers so I can get ready making charts. I was thinking of having my Author in the Spotlight on top, hence the lamp. The tinted window looks into my office.
 
 These little chairs are next to the shelves and the door to go outside and the storeroom door.
 
This is a view of the back whole group and library area. I love the big book holder thing on the right hand side - it literally holds hundreds and hundreds of books (which I've organised alphabetically by author surname) and therefore saves tonnes of shelf space! I've still got boxes of book to unpack but I put out enough to get us started. I think I'll get rid of the box of cushions or find somewhere else to put it. I'll use the board for charts we make and a pocket chart.  The clock won't stay there!
Here's another view. The bookshelf holds some book boxes and tubs of scholastic reader type books.
 
I've got another group area down the front near the interactive whiteboard. I've put my rocking chair down here. 
Besides the interactive whiteboard, this this is the only whiteboard I've got. It is above the rocking chair. I'll probably change what is up the top (I can't write up there being only 5ft 1) but I wanted something up there to add some colour.
 
The blue tables are near the sliding door entrance. The pink frame from Target will hold notices and messages, the green rack has phonics readers, the pink tub on top holds our school student diaries (which are required to come to school each day). Underneath are tubs. I think the blue one will hold homework folders (our homework only comes in once a week). I'm not sure about the pink ones yet. I'm actually thinking now I'll get another two pinks ones for the other side...
 
This is on the other side of the yellow half wall divider above. You can see I'm missing a drawer :( I've still got labels to add and things to add on top. Through the left hand side of the purple wall is our shared kitchen (for myself and my teaching partner).
On the sliding doors I have added our word wall, mainly because there was nowhere else large enough to hold it! This is part of it.
Here is the start of my small group area. I've got a shelf on the left hand side that can't be seen to hold my small group supplies. Those posters are awful but we are required to have them in every class (they are QAR posters). Ignore the pink paper that is hanging outside the yellow border too, I'm waiting for some blue (and pink) scalloped borders to be delivered to put on the outside to make a double border, but they haven't arrived yet.

Like I said, my room is not finished and this is it until I return to school with the kids on Tuesday. I've got a whole storeroom of boxes of games, manipulatives, stationery and other things still to set up somewhere. I'm so sad it's not finished, but once I can get a security code for the building I'll be in on weekends finishing it off (I know I'll be WAY too tired after school for the first few weeks!). Even writing that, I know it probably won't happen until the Easter holidays!

I was very anxious when I left Friday knowing that the next time I set back in the room my new little firsties will be on their way! I'm so excited because they are all little cuties! I think I'll have a lovely class this year!

Sorry for another mammoth of a post! Good luck with your first week back!

40 comments:

  1. Your room looks beautiful - and so colourful! Your students will absolutely love it!

    Stef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stef! Still loads to go but it is at least student ready. Not being able to go in this weekend means I can relax before Tuesday. I hope you enjoy the long weekend.

      Delete
  2. Your room looks awesome! It is so organized and well put together. Good luck with Back to School!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I don't know how organised it will be once I unpack the rest of my stuff, but for now it's ok!

      Delete
  3. Kylie!!
    Wow!! Everything looks great!! So light and bright. You are soooo organized! It looks very ready for kids!! They are so lucky!
    Nancy
    firstgradewow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I think the coloured walls are great and just covering bulletin boards adds so much colour. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Your room looks wonderful! Your little students are so lucky to have you as their teacher!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing photographs of other Aussie classrooms and yours is no exception - it looks great so far! Such a shame about all of your preparation issues but I have no doubt that your kiddies will love the space! Best of luck next week - I'm starting to get nervous!!

    Casey
    Adoring Lilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you too Casey! I'm hoping that school will be cancelled for tomorrow, but it doesn't seem likely!

      Delete
  6. Your room looks so inviting Kylie! Great job :) I totally relate to not using the tops of whiteboards, I'm 5ft (when I wear heels, which is all the time). Mine is usually covered in posters as well. Good luck next week, I'm sure it will all come together.

    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wear heals most days to add a little height! Even Year 1s seem tall when I'm not wearing them! :D Thanks for stopping by Tania.

      Delete
  7. Your room looks fabulous. I'm hoping that you aren't too effected by the horrific weather that Queensland is experiencing. Sending thoughts and good wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I'm not really effected. We have had lots of rain and very strong winds but I'm not in a flood area, thanks goodness. Thanks for your well wishes, so many of us up here do need them.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your pictures! I love seeing classroom set outs! I can't wait till I can get my own room (4th year student)!! Everything looks really nice and inviting for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by M. Good luck with your final year of uni!

      Delete
  9. Love your room. Where did you find your qar posters? I need some. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Nelson, my school provided the QAR posters so they could be used in every classroom so I'm not sure where they got them from. They are NOT very cute at all! Sorry I couldn't help!

      Delete
  10. What a huge, tastefully-colorful, well-arranged room, Kylie! You've done a splendid job getting ready for your cherubs. I'm sure they'll love being in such a lovely learning environment. You're lucky to have lots of natural light from your windows. I only have one in my room, and it has frosted glass.

    We're mid-year here in Oklahoma. Drop by my blog and see what you think.

    Jill
    a-little-red-wagon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jill and for leaving such a lovely comment. The windows are great for light, but take away 2 walls of display space so they are often covered up with charts! They still let lots of light through though. I'll stop by your blog!

      Delete
  11. your room looks lovely Kylie! i too love seeing photos of other aussie classrooms (i teach yr2 in Brisbane ) i have a question... the storage you have under the lamp (where u are thinking of having author spotlight ) how do u find it? what do u store in the tubs? i am considering getting on for my classrooms to store some art supplies (glitter, pom poms, tissue paper etc) thank you and i hope u have kept safe during our horrible weather weekend
    Sarah :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, I LOVE LOVE the storage I get in those shelves. The drawers are actually smaller than what I thought they would be, but they've turned out to be quite a good size for what I've put in them. Mostly, I store math manipulatives that I've purchased with my own money over the last few years. They fit my 3D shapes (still in the original box), containers of counters, beads for pattern threading etc and also some word work supplies such as play-doh and mats. I think the drawers would be a good size for art supplies, but they wouldn't be long enough to store the long tissue paper without folding. Also, the drawers don't have lids, they just slide in and out. And there's a lot to do to put it together, but I've found it well worth the money. All of the same things kept in here took up all my shelving when stored in other tubs. Good luck for the first day of school tomorrow!

      Delete
  12. Your room is so bright and colourful, Kylie! It looks fabulous and I know that your firsties will think it is WONDERFUL! Hope you have a fabulous first day ~ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! It was a great day and week. How was yours?

      Delete
  13. Kylie - your room is beautiful. I just love to see the way other Aussie teacher's put their rooms together - I'm such a sticky beak! The pom poms you have hanging in your computer area are gorgeous, did you make them yourself? I've tried but mine looked kinda squashed :(
    Good luck starting school with your new grade this year, I hope the weather let's up for the kids first days.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments Joanne, yes I did make the poms myself. I suprised myself as I'm not ususally good at that kind of thing. We only had 1 day of wet weather breaks, thank god! I hope you enjoyed your first week!

      Delete
  14. Hi Kylie, Your new room is looking fab! We have the exact same student desks- not sure who the genius was that decided WHITE would be the best colour for the tidy trays!!! Ours are only 3 years old and NO amount of Jiff/Gumption/Bleach will get rid of grey lead pencil marks! I'm very jealous that you have your own office and your room seems rather roomy!! I hope this wild weather settles for your first day tomorrow! We don't start back until Wednesday so one more day of PD for me.

    Learning is Rosey with Mrs Josey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not get me started on those damn tidy trays! Argghh, I don't even think mine were cleaned at the end of last year. They are disgusting, but I have no time to clean them. White is such a silly colour for them! I'm pumped that I have my own office, but I think I'd rather the extra classroom space! How did your week go?

      Delete
  15. Your room looks so bright and colourful, so much space too (at least it looks like it from the pictures anyway, lol)!

    Seeing the lovely pics is making me all antsy to get into my new school classroom here in WA and get started! But alas we don't go back for student free days until this Thursday with students coming the on Feb 4th.

    Hope the weather hasn't dampened spirits for ya'll :)

    Have a great week and thanks for sharing your room with us!

    Cheers!
    Laura
    @Colormeprimary.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I good luck with your first day tomorrow! I'm off to check out your blog!

      Delete
  16. Hey, as a trainee teacher you have given me inspiration to make my first classroom when I start teaching next summer creative and engaging. I especially like the reading area where you have lots of cushions for the children to sit on and read- I think they would really enjoy that!

    I hope you can hop over to my blog,
    All the best- can't wait for more posts.

    Ben :)
    benmayoh.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, it says a lot about you that you are reading teaching blogs, and starting your own, while still studying. I wish you all the best for your final year. Having a variety of seating options for when students read ensures that all students are comfy and read longer. I'll check out your blog.

      Delete
  17. I love the draws under the lamp too! Are they your own? I am still feeling a little unorganised in my room (especially after looking at your pictures) - having an open planned classroom, sharing with a male and very little storage space (soooooo jealous of your big cupboards) means I just haven't felt as enthusiastic about doing it up... Yours looks fantastic though!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, those drawers are my own. I bought them because I had no storage in my demountable room for 3 years. I finally got sick of it and purchased them. I'm very happy with the storage I have now though! I worked with a male last year, it took me quite a while to get used to him coming in whenever he wanted and start talking to me loudly from across the room. The kids got used to it and soon stopped getting distracted! I hope it all goes well for you!

      Delete
  18. Hi Kylie,

    I think your room looks wonderful! So bright and cheery, I bet the kids love it. My room is nowhere near where I would like it to be for the beginning of the year - I have lots more organising and setting up to do.
    I so enjoy peeking at other Aussie classrooms. :)

    Lauren
    lovelaughterandlearninginprep.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by and for your kind comments, Lauren. I also love looking at other Aussie classrooms, I'm glad more of us are starting to blog. I'll check out your blog.

      Delete
  19. Oh my gosh, I LOVE your classroom!!! It is so fun and colorful! And it looks huge! I can't believe how many pictures you have of different areas of the room! They are all adorable! And you and your teaching partner get your own kitchen?? That is so neat! We just have one for our entire staff!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Molly, but it's not as big as it looks in the photos! There isn't much room between the groups of desks so I have to squeeze through on my tip toes to get past! I am so lucky to have a kitchen to share with my teaching partner! Since my school was only built about 8 or so years ago, all of the 'cottages' as we call them, have a kitchen in the lower grade levels. It's so good to have a big frige, oven, microwave and kettle right there every day!

      Delete
  20. I love your classroom!! It reminds me of what I did last and continue to do this year. I just purchased your cute alphabet posters. They are cute and I'm posting them on my instagram!!:) You rock and keep making awesome things!!

    ((HUGS))
    Tiffany

    One Fab Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tiffany! I'm heading by your blog to check it out!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...