Saturday, February 23, 2013

Five For Friday

This is the first time I've linked up with Doodle Bugs for her Five for Friday. Here are 5 randoms from my week: 

1. Is my cover blown?
Pinned Image        Pinned Image    
Click on pics for pinterest links.

I've blogged before about my "secret identity" as Down Under Teacher. I know some teacher bloggers have their name and face out there and it's no secret (and that's great) but I'm exactly the opposite! In the last two weeks 2 other teachers at my school have asked me if I am Down Under Teacher... I couldn't lie but had to ask that they keep it to themselves! Thanks ladies!

2.
Last week (and continued this week) we had our first go at math rotations with a Valentine's Day theme. It .... didn't go to well. Well, that isn't entirely true. Most kids got the activities but they were just too noisy. They know that I can't stand noise! A soft hum of activity is great, but the really loud excited whoops when they win a game or talking really loudly so I can follow their conversation from across the room just drives me nuts! I can't seem to focus when there's too much noise and I get really frustrated because I can't think properly. So, we're going to have to work on that!
Skip Counting and 1-120 puzzles from Katie King, Even and Odd from Lory Evans.

3.
This year I'm teaming up CAFE with beanie babies. So far I've introduced Eagle Eye, Stretchy Snake and Chunky Monkey. My firsties LOVE them and are excited to tell me whenever they've used a strategy. 
  

I bought Chunky from Big W (along with a few others for $2), the rest of the 2 bags of beanies I've bought came from the U.S.

4. To help us with the Chunky Monkey strategy, I made up these long strips of cardboard and wrote a whole heap of word families on them. This week we were working on r-blends so I also made up cards for tr, cr, gr, fr, br and dr. We simply move the blends down the word families and chunk the word. We then give a thumbs up for a real work and a thumbs down for a silly word.


5. I'm lovin my new book boxes and whisper phones (sent over from the U.S. - I'm crazy I know!). They just look so pretty in the shelves! I got the boxes and phones from Really Good Stuff. 

This is what the back of the room looks like now. I used to have a whole class area but it was too small and not that functional so I got rid of it.
I've since labelled all the Readers boxes and book boxes. 

What have you been up to this week? Share in the comments or link up with

25 comments:

  1. I am incredibly jealous of your gorgeous book boxes! I'm using cheap plastic folders haha - my poor kids! Did they cost much to have shipped here?

    Casey
    Adoring Lilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cost me about $150 for the book boxes and shipping (that's for 28 book boxes)- just over $5.30 each. I don't think that's too bad considering they will last me years (hopefully) :)

      Delete
    2. Ohh wow - I think I could probably justify that to my husband!! I think I might use my tax return and make a really big order lol

      Delete
  2. Yeah, that privacy thing worries me, too. And I only comment on blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're ok Suzy, I clicked on your profil and nothing came up! It was the class photos that got me caught - I might refrain in future!

      Delete
  3. Please please please - where are those boxes from???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grabbed them from Really Good Stuff. I love their coloured book boxes!

      Delete
  4. I thought Really Good Stuff didn't deliver to Australia! I filled up my cart one day with tonnes of stuff and then couldn't figure out how to deliver to Australia. Tell us the secret!!!

    Shanyn
    Coffee, Kids and Compulsive Lists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shanyn, I was really bummed the first time I tried so I googled my options! I found that there were sites that act as a go-between. I'm using Shipito. So they provide me with a personal address/suite number that I get things shipped to. They can then consolidate all my packages and send them to me. I've had had multiple packages turn up there and had things shipped to me three times without any problems. The first time I received this huge box (cost me $83 dollars to get shipped here) in 3 DAYS!

      Delete
    2. OH my goodness - I didn't know such companies existed!!! How cool!

      Delete
  5. I love the beanie baby idea! I pinned that a while back and never got around to it.

    Your room looks fantastic!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are EATING UP the beanie baby idea! I wish I'd done it sooner! Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  6. I love your book boxes! I use book boxes, as well, but ours are cardboard that have been working well these last couple of years. I would love to get a whole class set from Really Good Stuff.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Krystyn
    Ms. Richards's Musingsmsrichardssmusings@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely hoping these will last a few years with how much they cost to get shipped here! We don't have anything like them here in Australia that I could find (and I've been looking for a couple of years) so I finally broke down and ordered them! I love them too!

      Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  7. LOVE those book boxes. I always buy my boxes from Elizabeth Richards but yours look heaps better. Its such a shame we don't have the great resources available here. Like you I am always purchasing teaching stuff from overseas. I am going to take a look at those.

    Your room looks great, Kylie.

    Rhonda
    Classroom Fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda, At the moment I'm loving the investment. I think they'd hold up well with your little kiddies. I've bought some boxes from Elizabeth Richards before to hold my guided reading books, but they were faded before the end of the year so I haven't gone that way again :(

      Delete
  8. I love all your ideas this week. So much good stuff. I am your newest follower.

    The First Grade PrincessTerri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all of your pics! The book boxes are great, I love Really Good Stuff! I have never seen the beanie baby idea. I will have to look into that a bit more:)

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corinna, it's a really cute idea isn't it! I've seen it floating around for a few years now but couldn't get my hand on any beanies. I finally had to order them from overseas! I've got ideas for many more. So far, they are really helping the kids remember the reading strategies I've introduced.

      Delete
  10. Hi Kylie!
    I love your book bins and book shelves! I wish I had shelves that fit the boxes that neatly! I would also love to collaborate with you on the beanie baby idea!
    I started a unit last summer using 38 beanies aligned to the CAFE but had to take it off of TPT because of the Sisters copyright. I was pretty bummed about that but you'll have to stop by and take a look at my "Critter Cafe" and I would love to brainstorm with you!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 38 beanies! I've thought of about 25 so far but have only thought of the immediate future! I'll shoot you an email!

      Delete
  11. Eeek! Love those colored book bins!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, was just wondering where you ordered your beanie babies from as I'm looking to give it a go too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I grabbed them from the official Beanie Babies website and also from Amazon.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...