Monday, November 11, 2013

Fall Word Problems and a Probability Freebie

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/50-Fall-Word-Problems-or-Number-Stories-954604I had a request a little while ago after another teacher bought my Summer Centers pack. One of the centers consisted of a bunch of word problems. The request was for seasonal and holiday packs filled with word problems.

It's taken me a little while, but I have finished the first pack. It has 25 addition and 25 subtraction word problems.   

The pages all follow a consistent format to help in developing student independence. These problems all have a sum to 10 and are simple ‘joining’ addition and classic take-away style problems - perfect for the start of the year. The 25 addition and 25 subtraction pages are jumbled up (so that students have to work out the operation).

Each page has an addition or subtraction number story (or word problem). Students visualize the problem and draw a picture to represent it. This can help some students work out whether the problem requires them to add or subtract. In addition, students will complete a 10-frame, number line and number sentence (or equation) for each problem. 



I plan on developing more packs as the year progresses that will gradually increase in difficulty and include different styles of questions (start unknown, difference unknown etc). I already have some other packs in the works. 

I've already given away a copy on Facebook, but I'll give another copy or two away here tomorrow night. I'm dreaming about going on an around the world trip in a couple of years so I'd love you to leave a comment about places I should visit (or a simple 'Hi!' will do!).

On another note, the other week we were looking at probability and events that will, might and won't happen. I made up this quick little activity which you can download in Google Drive. It's a bit late for Halloween, but you might want to put it away for next year. The kids had a lot of fun with it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B24zvP0qMR63WDg3eGttcTV3MW8/edit?usp=sharing

Remember to comment with your must see holiday destination! :D

12 comments:

  1. I would love to visit Italy and eat gelato while walking around Rome:)

    rachelmd93@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Italy is definitely on my list! I love Roman history :)

      Delete
  2. Venice, with its canals and gondola, is a MUST visit! Also, Colmar in France for its Christmas market!

    cheriemae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions Cherie! I'd love a white Christmas instead of the stifling hot day I'm used to here in Australia! France at Christmas sounds magical!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kylie! you must visit The Netherlands!! Beautiful country, beautiful people!
    I already have your problem solving pack!! Thanks! I love it!! Keep it coming!!
    nancyvb1@gmail.com
    first

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion Nancy! I've just googled The Netherlands and it looks absolutely stunning!

      Delete
  4. The Netherlands and Italy, they're lovely, interesting, the ambience is great!!!!!!

    foxysexyroxy10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roxanne, I'm adding these two to my list!

      Delete
  5. Hi Kylie,
    Athens, Greece- absolutely magical! You must go!!
    Your word problems are fantastic- I love how you set them up for students to show their thinking!
    Cheers,
    Karli
    creatingathoughtfulclassroom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion Karli! My brother LOVED Athens so I'll definitely try and get there!

      Delete
  6. Visit Michigan in the United States! I very much enjoy your blog and have downloaded several of your freebies! I would love you to choose me for your problem solving pack! It is even my birthday tomorrow, so it would sure be a great birthday gift that keeps on giving! Thanks so much for the great ideas and neat activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodie, I will defintely try to get to the United States - the only problem is trying to narrow down what I want to see in the time I have!!

      By the way, happy birthday and check your email! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...