Sunday, July 24, 2011

Daily 5 Work Board/Rotations Freebie

I have to say that I LOVE the Daily 5. However this term I have needed to modify it to the Daily 2 :( We have been given new guidelines for how we have to set up our English and literacy time (and show how we differentiate between the two) and what rotational type activities we HAVE to do. 

So.... I can do 2 rotations each day so I'm making up a board that will show what students will do for each rotation (rather than having them choose). I am sticking with the Daily 5 components as such (I've always done Write About Reading rather than Work on Writing and do a separate writing workshop) but I've also had to do Writing Skills as one of the rotations.

We've been told we have to do guided reading (check - Read with Teacher), independent reading (check - Read to Self) and a 4 Resource Model activity (check - Write About Reading) and we are allowed to do a Word Work (check) and Writing Skills rotation (check). I've included these so that there is some variation and not always independent reading and a reading response (how boring!). We also have to do three 31 minute (yes, 31 minute!) English lessons per week.

I haven't finalised how I'm going to do this yet, but I've made up some rotation board labels in case you are interested. I've included all the Daily 5 type ones even if I can't use them :(

There are 6 to a page. 
And my favourite because I have brown hair and wear glasses!
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Goodness!! I thought it was bad that my country changed our curriculum, but still are not quite sure what they want us to do... so are leaving it all up to make it up as we go along! Yours seems crazy! Where did they pull 31 mins from? lol
    Seems that you will be able to fit in most of the great work you were going to do anyway, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire, here in Australia we are moving over to a national curriculum next year (which isn't a bad thing in my opinion). In order to prepare, my school is starting to change things this year. It is my school requirement that we do three 31min English lessons- I have no idea where they pulled it from! But we have to provide a weekly plan to show that we are implementing the required hours for each subject. They provided us with a structure for what our literacy sessions have to look like, hence why I can't do the Daily 5 :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I love your center icons, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing just the "Write about Reading" icon since I plan to use this instead of the regular "Work on Writing" from the D5.

    I also asked you for these icons on the Second Grade Teacher's Club site earlier today, so if you get this first, please disregard! My email address is BeeTea83@aol.com

    I would really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tahra, here it is. Let me know if you need it in a different size. I've emailed it to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    I LOVE your blog!!! I teach 2nd grade and came across your bog today; how do you have the time? I would also love your "Write about Reading" icon. I have a seperate writer's workshop, so during Daily 5 I want students to write about their books. My e-mail is brookedaerr@gmail.com

    I bought a lot of your materials from TeachersPayTeachers too. First time I've seen that website as well. I'm very excited!

    Thanks,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brooke, thanks for stopping by! LOL, it is hard to have time to blog and spruce up my resources to share with everyone which is why there's often a week here and there when I don't post!

    If you click on the picture above of the Write About Reading icon, it'll take you to Google Docs to download it. I'll email it to you as well.

    Please let me know what you think of the resources you bought - I'm always looking at improving them (and thank you)!

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man I am loving your blog sick at the moment! I'm down in Victoria trying to ignore the fact that I start back the Monday after Australia Day...
    I've taken my computer into the backyard so I can tan and 'work' at the same time! Love broadband :) I started using Daily 5 halfway through last year, when it seemed like everyone on here was doing it, lol, and I am so pumped to use CAFE this year and to do it all from the start! I'm playing with my headings for my rotations, I'm thinking of doing spelling and word work separately because our vocab is...lacking :) But I love your write about reading! I can't get your google doc to load though, it says I don't have permission to view it :( My email is andrew.lauren.l@edumail.vic.gov.au

    I'm tossing up whether to get your VOICES cards as well, I don't know if I'm ready to introduce two completely new things in Term 1! But they look like just what I'm after...what books did you use for reference? I'm in Grade 4 - did you make your cards specifically for Grade 2? Wow, I have waaaay more questions than I thought I did. Hope you get this before I start back! Maybe I'll actually go into my classroom this Monday... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...