Saturday, March 10, 2012

Free Words Their Word wort sorting schedule

Word sorting... not my best area. It is always the thing that gets left out when I am short of time - which is very often!! What I did last year with my class just isn't working with this bunch and with my schedule. Last year I had a very simple schedule. All students knew that on Day 1, they did ____ activity, on Day 2 they did _____ activity and so on. Each groups Day 1 was a different day. So, if I met with the Red Star group on Monday to introduce their new sort, that was their Day 1. But I met with the Blue Star group of Tuesday, so that was their Day 1 etc. It worked really well and the schedule took up hardly any space.

It just isn't working this year. It confuses the kids. I've played around with a couple of things while trying to keep it simple and toyed with the idea of having the schedule displayed on the interactive whiteboard, but I don't like having to wait for it to turn on and bring up the file when it only has to be up for such a short time. So I decided I had to show what each group is doing every day even though it will take up more room. This is what I think it will look like once I go in on Monday and put it up. 
It's a freebie on TpT (and Teachers Notebook once I get the chance).  It can be used on a bulletin board or pocket chart. It shows what activity each group will be doing each day while I meet with a group to introduce the sort.

It comes with days of the week and day numbers (e.g. Day 1, Day 2 etc) in case you do your word sorting over more than a week. I am notorious for running out of time and skipping a day here and there, so I will personally use the Day headings so I don't muck up the schedule!

The activities I have listed are ones I think are most common. Just let me know if you need any others made.

Enjoy your weekend! I'm laser skirmishing tomorrow - can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. Love the schedule! I am planning to use Words Their Way nest year and this will be a a great addition. Thank you
    Jessica

    Apples and Papers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessica, I'm glad you can use it. I'm off to check out your blog!

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Will be of great use in my Canberra classsroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting! I love it when other Aussie teachers find my blog!

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...