Sunday, May 19, 2013

Summer Centers

I've just finished my first 'big' pack since October/November last year! Since then, I've been buying up a storm to keep my literacy and math centers going smoothly. This pack has taken me over 6 weeks to complete. I've just been making new centers when I haven't been able to find what I need in packs I've bought or downloaded. I need a lot too, because I differentiate my literacy centers. Depending on my kids needs (and how busy I am...) I have 2-3 levels of activities for Word Work, Spelling, Sight Words, Sentences and up to 5 different activities (for 5 different groups) for Write About Reading, which is my reading response center (although sometimes this is just 1 response activity that all groups complete based on their guided reading text). In the past I've done the Daily 5, but I thought my kids this year in Grade 1 needed more work on the basics. I'll do a post at some point to explain what the kids do in each one.

So this pack has 7 literacy and 7 math centers that I needed for some of the kids in my class. I apologise for my awful photos, I've been meaning to get a new camera for ages now, mine must be at least 8-9 years old now and it doesn't take great photos.
This is a sight word scramble activity, so a sight word literacy center. This was for my higher groups (they could choose whether or not to use the word guide). They chose two words to put in a sentence on the bottom (this sheet is already filled in and marked by my wonderful student teacher). My lower groups had a sight word scramble where the sight words were backed on a picture and cut up and they had to put them back together and so is self-correcting because they have the picture to help them. They needed that extra scaffold and the simpler sight words.
I had this Floating Through Sounds activity out last week for my two lower groups for a spelling center. They had to stretch out the sounds and write a letter/s in each box. It included some digraphs that needed to be placed in one box (e.g. ck, ph). It was a bit too hard for my lowest group :(
 

This Sundae Sound Sort has been another activity for my lowest group where they sort by medial vowel sound and write the word on the recording sheet my stretching them out. This one is for CVC words.
This activity I made for my middle groups as they need a little reinforcement with digraphs. They take the pegs (that have a sh, ch or th splash hot glued on them) and clip it on the card where they hear the sound (beginning, middle or end of the word).
All of the centers in this pack have an I Can chart to help students be independent at their centers. The pack comes in a zip file because it contains a U.S. spelling pack and a British spelling pack. Just delete the one you don't need. You can see I've printed the British spelling pack that has 'color' spelled 'colour'. Because most of my readers are American, I've used the American spelling of 'center' all though this post as well, even though we spell it 'centre' here in Australia! I've had some readers point out that I'm always spelling it wrong (centre) so I just thought I'd mention that we spell it differently here!
I've put this pack on TpT for 30% off for two days since I didn't have it ready for the big sale. I've only shown the preview of 8 of the 14 centers below since this post is so long. Check out the preview on TpT if you'd like for the rest.
 
 
If you've read down this far, thank you! Leave a comment below with your email address and I'll give it away to someone tonight.  

My son chose number 9! Congratulations Karyn! I'll email you now!

20 comments:

  1. Oh, Kylie I was SO excited when I saw you post this yesterday...then I remembered that you teach first now. I LOVE your stuff! If I'm ever on first again, I'm heading your way. It looks great!!!

    PS We've missed your posts ;)

    Shanyn
    Coffee, Kids and Compulsive Lists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. coffeekidsandcompulsivelists(at)hotmail(dot)com

      ;) Some of my precious Year 2s might still use it!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Shanyn, you are so sweet. I'll be sure to try and post (and comment) more often!

      Delete
  2. Kylie - this looks amazing. I have some groups that would really benefit from the work you have done. Your kids are so lucky. I am glad you are posting again as I love to see what you are working on.
    Paula pjshaw2@gmail.com
    Paula’s Place and coming soon iSURF Maths

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula! I'm intrigued as to your coming soon iSURF maths blog. Can't wait to see it up and running!

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous resource, Kylie! I absolutely adore it, and I know my kiddos would love these centers.

    Stef
    Miss Galvin Learns
    stefanie.galvin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tremendous amount of work you have put into this resource! Love all the bright summer colors, too!

    tokyoshoes at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspirational at the least. LOVE that you differentiate and create!! Your photos were fine, absolutely fine.
    With thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! I love all the summer things. Great work :)

    vanhemelryck@independent.k12.mt.us

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this resource is wonderful. I love the theme and all the concepts too.

    Thank you for the chance to win! So happy to follow you all the way from NYC, USA

    Iteachkidsabc@gmail.com
    :o) V.
    Special Teacher for Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great Kylie :) we've missed you
    b_beynon@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Kylie you are awesome at differentiating for your kiddos! I love that this pack is so versatile! Thank you for the opportunity to win! :-)
    Karyn
    Kideducator@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love this unit for my advanced Qld preppies now and all of my little darlings later on in the year :)
    jenjenqld@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing Kylie! I'd love to know how to create these wonderful resources. I'm teaching grade one in Queensland also and am trying to get some literacy centres up and running, just a bit lost with what type of activities to do to fit in with the CAFE and Daily 5.
    Would love to win this pack!!
    Alison :)
    arabb2@eq.edu.au

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks awesome! I would love to get this for my class! Thanks for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kylie, I just love the engaging design and differentiated tasks you have created! :) Talk about a fabulous pack ready to go with beautiful themes

    Liz - BaysideMathTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it..it looks awesome!! Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for this one. ;)

    Gladys
    teachinginhighheels(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for the opportunity.
    Yvonneeyrg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks fantastic Kylie! Have missed your fabulous posts and as always you have been so creative, great activities for differentiating. I am teaching third and about to go back to relief teaching for a while, but I am wishlisitng in the hope that I end up on year 1 or Prep in the next 6 months :)
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  17. These activities look amazing! dbednarsk@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...